Re: Embedded Font formatting and positioning commands in ObjectGraphics

"Ricardo Fonseca" <zamb@physics.ucla.edu> wrote in message

> Is it possible to use Embedded Font formatting and positioning commands in
> Object Graphics?

Yes. You need to set the ENABLE_FORMATTING property of your IDLgrText object
to 1.

> I wanted to produce the same result as the use of the
> following string does in Direct Graphics
>
> '[1/!4x!X!Ip!N]'

Should work, but note that font-selection codes like !4 work differently in
TrueType fonts (the Object Graphics default) from the way they do in Hershey
fonts (the Direct Graphics default). E.g. !4 in Hershey gives you Simplex
Greek, but in TrueType it gives you Helvetica Bold (which probably wasn't
what you wanted). To get Greek characters in TrueType you need !9 (Symbol
font). See the table in the IDL docs under "Embedded Formatting Commands"

Thanks to Liam Gumley for helping me clarify this.

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield/
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research
PO Box 14-901, Wellington, New Zealand