Re: Embedded Font formatting and positioning commands in ObjectGraphics

Mark Hadfield (m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz) writes:

> Should work, but note that font-selection codes like !4 work differently in
> TrueType fonts (the Object Graphics default) from the way they do in Hershey
> fonts (the Direct Graphics default). E.g. !4 in Hershey gives you Simplex
> Greek, but in TrueType it gives you Helvetica Bold (which probably wasn't
> what you wanted). To get Greek characters in TrueType you need !9 (Symbol
> font). See the table in the IDL docs under "Embedded Formatting Commands"

Just for those of you who are naive enough to think
that typing any one or all of the three words "embedded
formatting commands" in the Index field of the IDL on-line
help might lead you to the correct table, let me describe
the torturous route I finally took after all three of
those words turned up nada.

I looked up "vector-drawn fonts", which led me to the
link "Font Overview", from which I followed the "About
True-Type Font" link. About half-way down that page, I
discovered the "Embedded Formatting Commands" link that
finally led me to the page Mark mentions.

And to think that I had been looking for months for this
page when it was that easy to find...

P.S. Let's just say that I can't remember the little
glyph thingy for "dripping with sarcasm". :-(