Re: Controlling axis labels in IDL plots?

Rachel Howe (rhowe@noao.edu) writes:

> I wonder if anyone can help me with a graphics problem?
>
> I'm getting very finicky about my IDL plots. (I use direct graphics
> only, no objects --
> conceptually I'm still in the v3.6 era).
> I've learned to use the !p, !x and !y system variables, their associated
> keywords,
> and the axis command, to override most of the defaults, but one thing
> eludes me.
> Does anyone know how the distance of the axis label from the axis is
> determined in a single-panel 2d plot?
> There doesn't seem to be any way to control it directly, but it must be
> some arcane function of the plot area, position/margin settings, and
> character size. If anyone knows an algorithm, I'd be delighted to hear
> it.
> Or would it be easier to give up and just use
> XYOUTS to put the annotations where I want them?

Ooohh, someone as anal as I am about the looks of things!
Thank goodness, I had just about abandoned all hope. :-)

I don't think there is any way to control this. If
there is an algorithm (there must be), it's a screwy
one. I've learned to live with it in direct graphics,
but that distance from the Y axis in object graphics
drives me crazy. :-(