Re: Combine ascii and binary format (i.e. formatted and unformatted)

"Vince Hradil" <hradilv@yahoo.com> writes:

> Won't this work?
[ see below ]

I think it won't.  The point was that the first number, myInteger, was
printed with formatted I/O, while the data itself was unformatted
binary.

In this situation I believe it's best to dispense with format
statements and do it the hard way.  Formatted I/O leaves the file
pointer in an unpredictable position (*before* or *after* the space?),
and there's no efficiency lost when you're reading a few characters.

My suggestion:

myInteger = 0
myBlank = 0B
myArray = dblarr(sizeOfMyArray)

openr, lun, 'filename', /get_lun
readf, lun, myInteger   ;; Formatted I/O
point_lun, lun, 0L
repeat readu, lun, myBlank until string(myBlank) EQ ' '  ;; Skip past space
readu, lun, myArray     ;; Unformatted I/O
free_lun, lun

This is the first time I have ever used "repeat" by the way.

Craig