Color question (answer is not device,decomposed=0)

I am trying to learn to use Object graphics, now that idl 5.3 allows me
to create vector eps files using object methods.  My problem is that
when I draw to a window, and try to get black on white, I end up with
black on yellow.  White on black works fine, but when I try to set up my
IDLgrView object with color=[255,255,255], I get yellow instead of
white.  The device procedure applies only to direct graphics, so
device,decomposed=0 is not the answer (although I tried it anyway :) ).
I am running idl on a solaris machine, using the 24-bit display of a PC
running linux.  Any clues would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

--
Troy Carter
tcarter@princeton.edu