Re: Polar to spherical coordinates

Oh, if what I wanted was that easy.  What I would like is more akin to
the MAP_IMAGE function. I want to convert a 2D array "image"  into a 3D
array "image"  such as a polar projection to a sphere ( 3D array) and
back again.  Using the WHERE function and the CV-COORD function I have
partially done what I need to do.  It looks like I will need to create
a look-up-table (LUT) to translate the coordinates.

It still seems like there must be a trivial solution other than to
create a LUT and its inverse. I vaguely recall from some math-sci
course I took in college 20 or so years ago that we used transform to
"transform" from one domain to another. This is what I am looking for,
a function that will do this transform.   If I make one, I will post it
so that it will be decreased in size by 80% and speed by 300% as usual
since I still think in FORTRAN or C and not IDL.

Thanks