Re: grayscale vs. color

Hi Struan,

   yep! I guess that was shooting a little too fast, but the ensuing
discussion
(i.e. mostly your series of comments) put it onto the right track.
Although there may be workarounds (Liam), it still would be much
preferrable to see 24bit postscript colors produced by the postscript
driver. And I can't see a major difficulty in providing a (linearily
translated) CMYK output format in addition to RGB. True enough, RSI
should not start dealing with all these nitty details of color
adjustments etc., but I think one should be able to produce a postscript
file that you can forward to your favorite professional print shop and
they should be able to apply the necessary color corrections etc and get
the right colors out. What appals me about Photoshop, Coreldraw etc. is
that most of these are only available for Windows or Mac, so it is not
just firing up another application if you sit on a unix system. And the
learning curves are steep enough, although this is certainly also true
for color handling in general (why would there be professional graphic
studios otherwise?).

   I definitively agree with you that IDL seems to lag behind its
competitors in several fundamental ways, high ranking among these is
more transparent color handling and the mapping inconsistencies. From
what I have seen from the object graphics so far, this seems a much
better implementation - so perhaps they can at some point replace all
direct graphics stuff with procedure interfaces to the object graphics
routines? I am waiting for the IDLgrMAP object ...

   Yes: Let them do more important stuff!

Cheers,
Martin

--
[[ Dr. Martin Schultz   Max-Planck-Institut fuer Meteorologie    [[