Overwriting printings

I've been playing around with a montecarlo simulation. Since it is very
boring to watch the program to do nothing while calculating 1000000
iterations, I have it outputing the current result, which I can watch
stream by. While the program is probably slowed down by this output, the
psychological effect more than compensates for it.

However, with 1000000 iterations come 1000000 lines of screen output,
which is a little ackward.

Is there a way to get IDL to overwrite the previous print output, rather
than starting a new line? I'm running IDL in Linux..

Simon