Watersheds and Label_Region for 1d

Hello,

I want to perform something similar to the WATERSHED function but on a
1d vector rather than an 2d array.  Ultimately,
I want to separate overlapping cells in digital images of plankton.   It
is possible to perform a watershed operation
on one of my 2d images... but I am hoping to kill a number of bird's
with one stone by performing a watershed on a horizontal
profile of an image.

In order to do this I need to mimic the LABEL_REGION function on a
vector.   I can think of a number of
ways of doing this... but they seem computationally expensive (lots of
WHERE's and connectedness checking.)

Am I reinventing the wheel?   If so, where should I look for existing
routines?  (I have checked the usual caches of
routines available from David F's links page.)

Thanks,

Ben

--
Ben Tupper