Re: curve fitting problem

Hi Carlo and Pauline--

I'll assume that one of you will forward responses to your friend.
Remember we're not just here to serve you.  The request itself is a
bit too generic to make a detailed response.

Information on IDL standard library routines can be found in a number
of places on the web.  These two come to mind:

 http://hires.gsfc.nasa.gov/~beck/pkgs/idl_5.1/idl.htm
 http://www.astro.washington.edu/deutsch/idl/htmlhelp/slibrary07.html

For curve fitting, there are a number of options.  The standard IDL
library includes:
 LINFIT - linear model
 POLY_FIT - polynomial model
 POLY_FITW - polynomial model with weights
 COMFIT - a bunch of canned models
 CURVEFIT - generic least-squares fitting
 LMFIT - generic least-squares fitting

I would not recommend LMFIT, it's slow and not well suited to the IDL
philosophy.  If one of the specific models doesn't match what is
needed, then you will have to construct your own model and use
CURVEFIT.

I also make freely available a curve fitting package called MPFIT
which some people seem to like.  Here again you will have to construct
your own model function, or at least know the functional expression.
There are a number of benefits to the MPFIT functions, perhaps the
most important being it seems more robust than CURVEFIT.  This package
can be found here:

http://cow.physics.wisc.edu/~craigm/idl/idl.html

Good luck,
Craig