Re: Top 10 IDL Requests

In article <MPG.13db815b76724572989b5b@news.frii.com>,
davidf@dfanning.com (David Fanning) wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
>[snip]
>
> So, here is the deal. If you feel inclined to
> submit a couple of ideas to this newsgroup, I
> will collect them and submit them personally
> to the VP. I'll even follow up and make sure
> he has, uh, read them. :-)

    Dave -

    Thanks so much for the "RFC." If I had my druthers, I would ask for:

1. support for interlaced GIFs via a keyword to WRITE_GIF (how hard can
this be?), and

2. support for QuickTime video at least as an output option (e.g.
WRITE_QT), even if this means paying an additional license fee for
various CODECs.

    The programming support functions people have been listing as their
druthers, and expanded object programming really mean very little to
those of us who produce lots of Web content. I suspect this is a much
bigger area nowadays than object programming, and would in fact be
thrilled to see a rebundled product:

3. with NO object interfaces, since it's scientists who are doing a lot
of the programming, and I can't see why we're paying for features we
never use (however gnarly).

    Please send flames and explanations of why the gnarliness is useful
to /dev/null.

    Best,

                  Joe Gurman