Allocating memory in LINKIMAGE program

I have a C program which queries a database and returns a list of all matching
entries.  I am making this routine callable in IDL with LINKIMAGE.  I'd like to
return a string array to the calling IDL program.  My question is, how do I
allocate the memory to store the strings?  The C program has allocated space for
all of the strings with malloc().  Can I call IDL_MakeTempArray() to create the
string array and then set each of the string pointers to point to the location
allocated by malloc()?  Is there another source of information about using
LINKIMAGE other than the IDL Advanced Development Guide?

Thanks!  Ginny