Re: Top 10 IDL Requests

I meant the latter - resizing a common block without exiting IDL.  During
program development, I often find that I want to add a variable to a common
block.  Of course, when I attempt to recompile, IDL says something like this:

   % Attempt to extend common block: TEST

It's not particularly difficult to exit and restart IDL, but any variables
I had defined then need to be reset.  Unfortunately, .reset_session has the
same problem, because in addition to common blocks, it appears to kill any
variables defined at the main level.

I don't know how common blocks are implemented internally (an array of
pointers, perhaps?), but it seems that if IDL can dynamically redimension
arrays, it also ought to be able to dynamically resize common blocks also.

Doug