[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: 3D plot symbols
- Subject: Re: 3D plot symbols
- From: davidf(at)dfanning.com (David Fanning)
- Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:16:20 -0600
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: Fanning Software Consulting
- References: <8ln7vi$th2$1@SonOfMaze.dpo.uab.edu>
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:20441
R. Kyle Justice (firstname.lastname@example.org) writes:
> I would like to be able to create a 3-D scatter plot
> with 3-D symbols. It would be nice if I could define
> a cube with USERSYM. I can almost get what I want
> using PLOTS but the symbols are "flat" in 3-D.
I have a feeling the PLOTS symbols are "flat"
because you forgot to set a T3D keyword on the
PLOTS command. :-)
I can't see any reason why 3D symbols with PLOTS
would be prohibited, even in PV-Wave, which I
assume you are using.
> Can I get this functionality using the polygon
> rendering routines? I am particularly worried about
> speed since the plot will be animated (continuously
> updated as symbol values change).
I think speed will be a problem using PLOTS. I'd
offer you something in the line of object graphics
3D scatterplots, but I doubt it would apply. :-(
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting
Phone: 970-221-0438 E-Mail: email@example.com
Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming: http://www.dfanning.com/
Toll-Free IDL Book Orders: 1-888-461-0155