Re: 3D plot symbols

R. Kyle Justice (rkj@dukebar.crml.uab.edu) writes:

> I would like to be able to create a 3-D scatter plot
> with 3-D symbols.  It would be nice if I could define
> a cube with USERSYM.  I can almost get what I want
> using PLOTS but the symbols are "flat" in 3-D.

I have a feeling the PLOTS symbols are "flat"
because you forgot to set a T3D keyword on the
PLOTS command. :-)

I can't see any reason why 3D symbols with PLOTS
would be prohibited, even in PV-Wave, which I
assume you are using.

> Can I get this functionality using the polygon
> rendering routines?  I am particularly worried about
> speed since the plot will be animated (continuously
> updated as symbol values change).

I think speed will be a problem using PLOTS. I'd
offer you something in the line of object graphics
3D scatterplots, but I doubt it would apply. :-(