Re: Surprising Odds and Ends

> The bottom line is that HEAP_GC doesn't belong in
> your code

Agreed.

> ..What you should
> do is CATCH errors, and handle things in such a way that
> you never have a need for HEAP_GC. And that is what
> this chapter in my book is going to be about. :-)

I'd better buy your book when it comes out :-) Until then, HEAP_GC and its
friends RETALL, WIDGET_CONTROL,/RESET and CLOSE,/ALL are mighty handy from
the command line when cleaning up after an error.

This has been discussed on the group before, but I'm not keen on excessively
enthusiastic error handling in code. If in doubt, stop where the error
occurred and let the user sort it out!

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield/
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research
PO Box 14-901, Wellington, New Zealand