Re: object newbie

Pavel,

   these are valuable comments. However, I disagree that objects are
only useful for
N >= 50 as you indicate. Especially when using inheritance, they have
tremendous power
even for N = 1 if you like some uniform access to "things" that belong
to the same category
but may all be a little different. Certainly you are right that
structures still have their
value, and you don't need an object for EVERYTHING in IDL. Yet, I have
the feeling that
your comment misses the point in answering Chip's question, and that
this is probably
because the question itself is flaky. I haven't pondered over this day
and night, but
I dare to say that you made something wrong when you need to know the
fields that are
stored in the object. Object oriented programming does require
substantial twists of
the sequential programmer's mind in terms of program structure. As
always, the design of a
program is the most important step in programming, but for objects it is
even more
important. Every object field (structure element) that you want to
access from outside
must be explicitely interfaced for a reason (encapsulation). All other
fields should
be regarded as private properties of the object for use only by the
object itself.
If you need access to object fields, the GetProperty, SetProperty
convention also
allows you to distinguish between Readonly and Writeonly access, simply
by including
or emitting respective keywords. Sure, OOP requires more typing than a
classical program,
but so far I still think I am rewarded in the end by a product that is
much more powerful
than a classical program of similar complexity. And if I had wanted to
include all that
power into a classical program, I probably would have had typed at least
as much.

Cheers,
Martin

--
[[ Dr. Martin Schultz   Max-Planck-Institut fuer Meteorologie    [[