Throwing Widget Events?

Is there a way to throw widget events ?  I know of checking for received
events with WIDGET_EVENT while your busy in some function (I use this for
Emergency Stop buttons) but how could one widget program (a child of the
main parent widget program) initiate an event on its parent's event loop ?

Eg. Let's say the child program computes a new image which you want to
display in the parent's window as soon as it is available ?  I have
basically assembled these fairly complex widget programs (which can either
stand alone or be children ie. setting group leader in their widget base)
and now they are all called by a main application which needs to update its
own window space with image data from it's children.

While we are at it, what mechanism is there to let a parent application know
its child programs are dead (or user clicked window close).

Thanks
Rich