Re: Convolution of Stick Spectra

Hi Todd

It helps a bit to pre-calculate your variance term.
Cuts execution time from 27 to 18 seconds on my PC.

variance_term= ( ( (.12*sqrt(energy/1000))/1.6651)*1000)^2
FOR indx=0L,nstick-1 DO BEGIN
   result = result + intensity[indx]* $
               exp(-((energy_scale - energy[indx])^2)/
variance_term[indx] )
ENDFOR

Nothing else springs to mind.  Your energy dependent
width is a real problem ie. can't use single FFT for
convolution.

If precision isn't a major issue, you could pre-calculate
Gaussians for each energy bin (2048 of them) and just
multiply by the appropriate intensities.  Only useful
if you'll be reading in lots of different spectra in
each run.

It'll be interesting to see what others come up with...

				Brian Jackel