Re: how to control contour label position ?

G. Vetoulis (vetoulis@aurelius.bu.edu) writes:

> I am generating contour plots and I am using the "levels" and "c_annotation"
> parameters. However because I need to superimpose other objects over the
> contour plot, I need to move the labels from where IDL is placing them.
> A better description would be to "slide" them along the contour, to places
> where they will not conflict with the other elements in the plot.
>
> I am not asking for an automatic way, but I would imagine there might be
> a variable that measures length along a contour. For that matter, how
> does IDL decide where  to place each label on its contour?

No one is sure how IDL decides where to place the
label. But this much is clear: we have no access to
the information and no control over how it is done. :-(

Sorry.

It might be better to slip the contour lines back onto
your plot *after* you placed the other objects. (You can
do this with the OVERPLOT keyword.)