Re: IDLWAVE 4.5

Martin Schultz <martin.schultz@dkrz.de> wrote:

>Ohhhh. I for one just looove the idlwave emacs mode, and I am not
>using anything else for editing of my IDL programs. However, I am
>almost ashamed to reply to this thread, because I still haven't found
>the time to play around with the shell within idlwave, and so I miss

That's basically the same situation I'm in. I adore the syntax coloring
and the automatic indentation, and the functions lists (not to mention
just the emacs search functionality, etc.), but I really haven't explored
90% of the rest of the stuff that the idlwave mode does, so I didn't want
to respond, either. But now that I'm not alone, it's much easier. =) The
only things I use to do IDL are xemacs and the idl command line. I used
the IDLDE for about a week before I decided it was the silliest thing on
earth. (perhaps a little exaggeration, but I didn't like it much.)

I've accidentally gotten into the shell mode before, but I'm so used to
the normal command line that I got out of it quickly. So I don't use all
those fancy features that allow me to look at variables, etc. I still use
a lot of "print" and "help" statements in my code to figure things out. As
with Martin, it will be someday that I'll get around to learning the rest
of it.

Todd