Re: IDL problem under Mandrake Linux

"J.D. Smith" wrote:

> "David G. Grier" wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> >     I've just upgraded my Mandrake Linux distribution to version 7.2 and
> > IDL has stopped
> > working in a strange and interesting way:

<Snip>

> > IDL seems to be having  internal trouble with integer data types,
> > setting them all to 0.
> > This is the case with both IDL 5.3 and 5.4.  IDL worked fine under
> > Mandrake 7.1, suggesting
> > that this is a library version incompatibility.   Has anyone else seen
> > such behavior, and
> > is there a workaround (short of downgrading to 7.1 -- very undesirable)?
> >

> No such troubles with RH7.0. It's /lib/libc-2.1.94.so, so you might
> check if Mandrake uses a substantially updated glibc.

And, to be fair, this sort of problem can occur with other distributed linux executables.
I had a similar problem with all my compilers (from a number of different vendors) in
going from RH5.X -> 6.1. The RSI literature doesn't even guarantee that IDL 5.4 (built
using glibc 2.1 BTW for those linux users maybe looking to upgrade) will work on RH6.0/6.2
out of the box (their words are "...it is possible you can install and run IDL on your
version.")

I'm sure the RSI tech support people can help. They jumped on and resolved my 5.4
licensing problem supa-quick.

paulv

--
Paul van Delst           Ph:  (301) 763-8000 x7274
CIMSS @ NOAA/NCEP        Fax: (301) 763-8545