[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Mixing ASCII and Binary in files
- Subject: Mixing ASCII and Binary in files
- From: Ben Tupper <btupper(at)bigelow.org>
- Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:39:12 -0700
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Science
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:22196
Thank you for all for the very interesting responses regarding my Julian
Day number query.
I have a question regarding mixing ASCII data (as a header) with binary
data (as data following the header). This is a desirable format for our
purposes for a number of reasons. I have come across such files
generated in the DOS environment from Sea-Bird Electronics devices.
I am able to read and write such files in MacOS using IDL without
difficulty; I am unable to do the same in Windows.
>From within IDL, is it possible to write such a file so that it is
readable across all platforms? If so, how?
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
180 McKown Point Rd.
W. Boothbay Harbor, ME 04575