[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- Subject: Distance calculation
- From: q4668057(at)bonsai.fernuni-hagen.de (Michael Spranger)
- Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:11:13 GMT
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: FernUni Hagen
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:22268
Geometry classes seem to be a long time ago...
Since a couple of days, I am trying to bring at least some logic in a
very simply looking problem:
I want to calculate the distances of points on a 3D regular grid to a
limited, 2D, planar area within the grid.
Mathbooks provide a bunge of solutions for the distance between a
point and a surface or for shortest distances between two lines (all
refering to basic vector algebra..), but none seems to be applicable
to this simple buffer problem I'd like to solve...
As I want to code it in IDL, one of my hopes is, that somebody already
solved this problem - or has heard of sombody who knows somebody
who... - or simply that someone has a good idea for a