Re: Distance calculation

Michael,

You are looking for the "norm" (look that up in your books).

The 2D plane is embedded in the 3D grid, so each point
in this 2D plane is described by 3 coordinates call them
(X0,Y0,Z0).

The points in the 3D grid also each are described by 3 coordinates
call them (X1,Y1,Z1).

Then, the distance between a given point on the 2D plane and
a given point in the 3D grid is simply

N = sqrt( (x1-x0)**2 + (y1-y0)**2 + (z1-z0)**2 )

You will need to do this for each pair of points between which
you wish to compute the distance.

Hope this helps.

Jeff