Re: MPFIT/MPFIT2DFUN (Markwardt)

Greetings!

The function MPFIT2DFUN is designed to fit gridded 2-dimensional data,
ie an image.

However, the task you are asking, a scalar function of two variables,
is not very hard to do with the standard MPFITFUN.  I even cover it as
a frequently asked question on my web page (hint, hint...).

What you want to do is make a *single*, *two*-dimensional independent
variable consisting of both your X and Y data.  MPFITFUN doesn't care
that your independent variable is of different dimension than the
dependent variable.  Your new independent variable would be
constructed like this:

  XY = [[X],[Y]]

You would call MPFITFUN with XY as your independent variable, and Z as
your dependent variable.  You need to make sure that your user
function can split this independent data array apart:

function myfunc, xy, p
  x = xy(*,0)
  y = xy(*,1)
  ... continue with calculations ...