Re: I for Interactive Programming? (was: widget_control and group_leader)

RGF> Finally taking the plunge and trying to learn this system.  I'm
RGF> using a PC with xterm software on it to connect to my unix
RGF> workstation. Trying to figure out how to use the Alt-TAB command
RGF> inside emacs- Alt-TAB is a windows thing that lets you hop
RGF> between running programs. I tried to use ESC-TAB but it does not
RGF> seem to do the right completion. Instead, I get Use symbol help
RGF> mode: and I am not sure what to do next. I've tried to find a way
RGF> to bind a different key to be my ALT key but I haven't succeeded.
RGF> Any emacs users out there who can help me out here? As should be
RGF> obvious, I have not used emacs before.

Are you running Emacs inside the xterm?  Then you have only a terminal
connection and you cannot use the ALT key etc.  You need to use
ESC-TAB to do completion.  Since this seems to be overwritten in your
setup, try this in .emacs:

(add-hook 'idlwave-mode-hook
    (lambda ()
      (define-key idlwave-mode-map "\e\t" 'idlwave-complete)))
(add-hook 'idlwave-shell-mode-hook
    (lambda ()
      (define-key idlwave-shell-mode-map "\e\t" 'idlwave-shell-complete)))

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik <dominik@astro.uva.nl>          \ _ /
Sterrenkundig Instituut "Anton Pannekoek"        |X|               _