[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Correlate and NAN
- Subject: Correlate and NAN
- From: Ben Tupper <btupper(at)bigelow.org>
- Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 11:18:27 -0500
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:22862
I have two datasets that I would like to correlate using the CORRELATE
function. Each dataset has some members flagged as NANs; the NANs are
not neccessarily coincident. The online documentation makes no mention
of NAN-handling, but the procedure in the lib directory indicates (see
modifications history) that it handles NANs (although there is no
keyword for it). It doesn't really handle NANs the way I expect it
to. For example, repeated calls to the TOTAL function don't set the
keyword NAN, so TOTAL doesn't check for NANs.
I'm not sure if it is reasonable to involve NANs in a correlation... but
it seems reasonable to request that the routine ignore NANs in the input
Is there a simple solution to this NAN-jam?
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
180 McKown Point Rd.
W. Boothbay Harbor, ME 04575