Re: Many procedures, what to do?

David Fanning wrote:

> I can tell you that my great idea to distribute IDL save
> files lasted about 15 minutes. Long enough for me to
> discover a bug in one of my files and realize I needed
> to resave every file on every platform every time I needed
> an update.
>
> No thanks. :-(

Bugs suck anyway. The same savfile works on Windows and Unix :-)
only versions matter ;-( . In order to patch a saved program
just mail a new version of easy_startup which compiles the
de-bugged source file after restoring the savfile. I am not going
to recommend savfiles for any set of routines but I recommend
it if you want to provide exactly the same software for
different users. In my case the savfile (400+ routines)
identifies itself when it writes output, so that there is a
version control even if the user crashed his/her IDL. I update
every 3 month after having tested the new version some weeks.

Cheers,
Theo