multiple filters take 2

A few days ago I asked about the possibility of using multiple file
filters with a file selection program. After much fiddling with an
old program, I decided to have a go at writing a new version that uses
DIALOG_PICKFILE.
My question still remains - the help on DIALOG_PICKFILE seems make no
sense - is it a Windows only option?
I can't work out from the help whether it is possible on Unix, or is
it a feature request for RSI?
Alternatively, has anyone written their own version to allow for more
than one filter?

--
Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.
     Werner Von Braun (1912-1977) German rocket engineer

Rochelle Hatton
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Ultrasound
Westmead Hospital