Re: check for duplicate routine names?

"Liam E. Gumley" <Liam.Gumley@ssec.wisc.edu> writes:

> Craig Markwardt wrote:
> > Another thing that would be nice is warnings about ambiguous uses of
> > variables that might shadow a function in the library.  Note this
> > code:
> >
> >    max = max(x, min=min)
> >
> > The next time you use min(x), will you get the function or the
> > variable named min?

... deleted by Craig

> I believe a function takes precedence over an identically named array
> subscripted with parentheses, e.g.
>
> IDL> min = indgen(10)
> IDL> a = indgen(5)
> IDL> print, min(a)
>        0
>
> Using square brackets eliminates the ambiguity between the function name
> and the variable name:

Point taken.  I was more trying to say, "because these things can
*potentially* be confusing, it would be nice to have a tool that
checks for them."  My example of MIN/MAX was a little trivial; there
are possible clashes with, say, the Astronomy library which are not as
obvious.

Craig