MPEG movies & frame rate

I have managed to stream the IDL graphics window content to a mpeg movie
file according to the help file sample; I use version 5.1. However, to
the best of my knowledge (which, being a newbie, doesn't account for
much ;-) there is no way to influence the frame rate. An obvious work
around would be to loop the same image for a number of frames, but then
the resulting movie is unnecessarily big.. Does anybody have some
pointers on how to get around this in a more elegant way?

TIA,
niclas