[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- Subject: mapViz update
- From: ronn kling <ronn(at)rlkling.com>
- Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 13:19:02 GMT
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: EarthLink Inc. -- http://www.EarthLink.net
- User-Agent: Microsoft-Outlook-Express-Macintosh-Edition/5.02.2022
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:23449
Thanks to everyone who has been helping me beta test this program. I have a
new version that is A LOT faster than the very first one. A new feature is
that mapViz now imports shape files.
If you are interested go to www.rlkling.com/html/mapviz.htm and you can
download the mapViz zip file. Follow the readme in the zip file on where to
install the files.
So what does mapViz do?
At the most basic level it is a GUI wrapper to the IDL mapping routines.
However, it does much more. Capabilities include.
1. Add lines, polygons, contours, images to the map using either a procedure
or method call. (no more oplot, etc.)
2. Import LAC and GAC AVHRR images onto the map. (The ones that you can
download from www.saa.noaa.gov.)
3. Import shape files that contain latitude/longitude data. Example shape
files can be downloaded at www.geocomm.com.
4. Control the drawing order of the lines, contours, etc using an
interactive interface. For example, using mapViz it is easy to put filled
continents on top of a contour and then change your mind and put the contour
back on top again. All you have to do is click and drag!
5. HTML based help to guide you through the learning curve.
6. This program can be used from either the command line or called from
other programs. In fact, I use it mainly as a utility program for displaying
mapping data that other IDL applications generate.
This version will stop working after March 31, 2001 and anyone is free to
Ronn Kling Consulting
"Application Development with IDL" programming book updated for IDL5.4!
"Calling C from IDL, Using DLM's to extend your IDL code" NEW BOOK!
Shareware and Freeware at: http://www.rlkling.com/