Max Woes Re: Back to idl after a looong time...

Pavel A. Romashkin (pavel.romashkin@noaa.gov) writes:

> Make sure it works on my darn Mac, too!

I was teaching an IDL course this week and I
had the ... (well, "pleasure" is not the right word)
of using an iMac as one of our machines.

I was absolutely depressed at how sucky (I'm sure
that is the right word) my device-independent
color programs worked. It seems it is impossible
on the Mac to flip between a color decomposition
on and a decomposition off state. It seems like you
have to decide if you are going to use color tables
or not. If you decide you are, I don't know how
you ever display a 24-bit image in the same IDL
session. :-(

I don't remember the Macs having these kinds of
problems several years ago. Maybe the new X
operating system will solve these problems.
But as it is, I don't see how anyone gets useful
work done with IDL on a Mac.

P.S. Let's just say I'm re-writing all my example
programs this week to add the disclaimer "Almost
certainly won't work as expected on a Mac".  :-(