Re: Read and Write IDL SAVE files!

Craig Markwardt wrote:

> Reimar Bauer <r.bauer@fz-juelich.de> writes:
>
> > Craig Markwardt wrote:
> > >
> > > I am pleased to release a library for reading writing and
> > > interrogating IDL SAVE files on my web page:
> > >
> > > http://cow.physics.wisc.edu/~craigm/idl/idl.html
> > >

> > Dear Craig,
> >
> > that's wonderful. This saves me a lot of future work, because I am
> > working on an idea how to write IDL SAV files by C/Fortran or LabView.
> >
> > RSI won't like to give me the specifications of this format.
> >
> > So I am waiting for your documentation.
>
> You mean you can't figure it out from the code? :-)

I am sure I can. Because I have solved it already for some types
but not for all as yours. On the other hand if a description already
is available some non idl programmers are able to understand
the format too.

> Writing it in C or FORTRAN would in some ways be easier, but in some
> ways more difficult.  I use the benefit of being able to EXECUTE
> expressions in order to build up named structures for example.  The
> dynamic typing is also a real boon.  This would be harder in C or
> FORTRAN.  However, if you are just interested in simple things --
> arrays and scalars -- then the format is quite straightforward.  It
> would be somewhat faster to execute in a compiled language.
>
> Craig
>
> --
> Craig B. Markwardt, Ph.D.         EMAIL:    craigmnet@cow.physics.wisc.edu
> Astrophysics, IDL, Finance, Derivatives | Remove "net" for better response

Reimar Bauer

Institut fuer Stratosphaerische Chemie (ICG-1)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
email: R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/
a IDL library at ForschungsZentrum Jülich
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

http://www.fz-juelich.de/zb/text/publikation/juel3786.html