Re: commenting

Christopher W. O'Dell (odell@cmb.physics.wisc.edu) writes:

> This is probably wishful thinking, but is there any way to
> comment out a large section of code as in C,
> where you don't have to insert a ';' on every line of code,
> but you can use a beginning and ending comment delimiter?
> I have this idea that there might be secret delimiters that
> i have not yet heard about in IDL.  And I'm very lazy and
> have often longed for this feature.

It's wishful thinking.

But you can always temporarily wrap code you want to ignore
in an IF statement:

   ignore = 1
   IF ignore NE 1 THEN BEGIN

      ... code to ignore here...

   ENDIF ; of code I am ignoring

It's not elegant, but if the code you want to ignore
consists of a lot of lines, it cuts down on repetitive
motion injuries. And you can easily go back and forth
just by setting the ignore flag. :-)