Re: MPEG and IDL 5.4

"Rick Towler" <rtowler@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
gpan6.485546$U46.14550992@news1.sttls1.wa.home.com">news:gpan6.485546$U46.14550992@news1.sttls1.wa.home.com...

> After using the new and improved MPEG features in 5.4 I suggest brewing
your
> own animation.  The improvements are much appreciated but the MPEG
> compression scheme isn't really designed for the types of animations
created
> from within IDL.

Hear hear

> Try it, if you are unhappy with the results write a PNG image for each
frame
> and use a program to string them together.  I have used videomach on
windows
> (a shareware program) to create .avi files with great success but there
are
> many other programs that can do this.

My favourite delivery format for animations is FLC.

I have written a WWW page with a few notes on the pros & cons of different
animation formats. The page is a bit sketchy but if you want to read it, see

http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield/gust/software/animation/

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield@niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research