Re: Open file in 5.4

In article <3AAD5C12.97FB96E@noaa.gov>, "Pavel A. Romashkin"
<pavel.romashkin@noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried to run 5.4 for the first time. The first thing I noticed is
> that it takes now good 3 seconds to open a small program file that
> opened instantly before, in 5.3. Is it so that I can enjoy the slick
> progress bar indicator? Is there a way to turn this feature off? Or, is
> it loading a text-to speech converter, or voice entry mode for dictating
> the code? That would introduce a lot of unrecognized entries sometimes,
> when I debug :-(
>
> Pavel

Hey Pavel,

I have to confess guilt for this new behavior. What it is doing is syntax
coloring (or chromacoding) the file as well as calculating initial line
widths. Once you save the file, this info will be stored in the resource
fork and you will no longer encounter the delay. This is actually meant as
a performance tweak... no really :)

BTW David, this is on the Macintosh which in 5.4 has a reworked editor
(among other things)

--
Thierry Faucounau
Research Systems, Inc.