Re: IDL i/o on G4

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:14:58 -0500, JD Smith <jdsmith@astro.cornell.edu> wrote:
>"Dmitri A. Sergatskov" wrote:
>>
>> Looking at IDLSPEC2 numbers for Macs (G4 in particular), it appears that
>> I/O performance is abysmal. Does anyone have an insight why would it
>> be so bad? The STREAM benchmark suggests that it should not be a generic
>> G4/MacOS problem.

...< Mac OS well, sucks ...>

>MacOSX, it would line up reasonably well with other OS's.  I also
>imagine doing heavy duty I/O where your cache policy is irrelevant would
>equalize things (though I'd suspect the MacOS I/O subsytem would still
>suffer).
>
>One other thing to remember: the speed advantages of G4's Altivec unit
>are not built into the IDLSpec2 survey, since they were introduced in
>version 5.4.

... < benchmark can be improved ...>

Thanks for your reply!
Well, I guess I have to start from the beginning. I need to choose
a laptop for very memory intensive number crunching job (similar
job runs on intel LX mb / 66MHz bus approx 30% slower then
on BX / 100 MHz bus, the same CPU). There are number of reason
to get  a latest Apple G4 notebook in favor of say IBM T21, but
this benchmark put me off for the moment. I guess it is back
for considerations now.

>JD

Regards,

Dmitri.