Re: Writing large [x,x,x,x] files

Martin Schultz wrote:

> Craig Markwardt wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > I'll chime in.
> >
> > Astronomy folks use FITS for data exchange, but other people can too.
> > I know that a lot of people complain that FITS is archaic but it's
> > pretty effective, [...]
>
> Oh let me advocate GRIB, a format commonly used by meteorological
> agencies (and established as standard by the WMO). It's archaic, it
> has a complicated user interface, but it is effective in packing data.
> And, most wonderful of all: if you would go for it, we would finally
> get a nice interface to read and write GRIB files from IDL ;-)
> [without call_external, i.e.]
>
> Cheers,
>
> Don't-take-me-serious-Martin
>
> PS: The fact that there are no GRIB utilities available in any library
> that I know of shows that not too many met people are using IDL. Or is
> everyone happy with the wgrib solution??

I convert GRIB->netCDF and read the latter in IDL (and other) code. :o)
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/decoders)

Disk space nowadays is cheap enough and readily available - packing data to save space is
usually more trouble than it's worth (unless you're dealing with  GB->TB/day from, say,
satellite instruments). If your internet connection is too slow and your data absolutely,
positively has to be there overnight - Fedex a DAT tape. :o)

paulv

--
Paul van Delst           A little learning is a dangerous thing;
CIMSS @ NOAA/NCEP        Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring;