Writing large [x,x,x,x] files

What write procedure can I use when I want to write a
matrix to file that is 128x128, multislice and with multi timepoint

Say data(128,128,4,50).
I tried PNG, but it says it will only take (1-4, n, m)
Does anyone know of a better file format ???

And furthermore, would that format be able to allow a user to write a little
bit of extra info, say a description to a header/footer in that same file ??

Its just that I've written a nice program, but I want to export the data to
some kind of format. So I can make it portanle and re-open the again.
The raw format that I imported takes a long while to be decoded, so I
wouldn't mind having some other more common format

Greets Sean