Re: pointer question

Thanks to all who chimed in on my pointer question.  The
background of me posing this dilemma was that i was under the
assumption that IDL passed variables by value.  Since i am
dealing with a number of rather large data structures, i thought
it would be wise to pass pointers to these structures in
function calls instead of passing the structures themselves.  And
naturally after coding for a while, i found situations where i
wanted to execute a function using a hybrid of several data
structures, and instead of creating one explicitly, i hastily
concocted one, used it to define a pointer with PTR_NEW, and
directly passed the result of this to my function.

I have gone back and corrected this naughty practice.  Thanks
everyone!

Ted Graves
Magnetic Resonance Science Center, UCSF