Minor problem with command line editing on SGIs

When I run IDL interactively on our SGIs (IRIX 6.5), I get occasional
artifacts when using the cursor keys to recall and edit the command
line buffer.  When scrolling through the buffer with the up or down
arrows, and the newly recalled line is shorter than the previous line,
the short line will have a few garbage characters at the end.  E.g.,

IDL> contour, dist(50,50), findgen(50), findgen(50)
IDL> print, findgen(100)$<3>

To ensure that I get sufficient catcalls, this is with a VT100 emulator
on Mac.  The problem only happens in IDL.  Anyone know the magic stty
settings to make this go away?

Thanks, Ken