constrained_min

I'm using constrained_min to find model parameter values which minimise
the difference between modelled and measured data. The measured data is
contained in various ascii files.

At present my program opens the ascii file within the function to be
minimised. this slows processing because the file is opened and closed
every time constrained_min tries a new parameter set.

Is there a way to read in these variables in the main program and make
them global or to pass them to the function within the constrained_min
command?

Glenn Newnham
Perth, Western Australia