Re: True Color Image Manipulation

The reason for using object graphics in this case are:

1) Rotations and scaling will be faster.  It would be nice to line up an
object on the image with the cursor draging one color image. This part can
easily be done) direct colors.  Now select the registered object as the
pivot for rotation.  Then select a second object  in one color and drag it
to the object's location in a second color (rotation and scale change).
Trying to update the image in direct graphics during the drag operation
would be much too slow.

2)  We are actually working with more that three spectral bands.  Additional
bands would be displayed simultaneously as color contour plots.  Different
colors for different bands. In direct graphics it would be easy to add a
single black and white contour plot but not multiple color ones. We will
also want to be able to easily add other overlay's (e.g. rubber band boxes
and elliptical apertures).  Also when scaling all bands simultaneously (e.g.
zooming), bookeeping is easier and with direct graphics we would have to
replot all the contours.

3) We will have at least two displays of the results updated
simulataneously.  A full image and a zoomed image.   Use of IDL objects
makes this easy.   It would be much easier to use the existing IDL graphic
objects instead of constructing our own objects from scratch.  In a sense,
if we used direct graphics we would be basically simulating the capabilities
of the IDL graphic objects (Meaning alot of extra coding) without the added
graphic speed available on the computer.

Maybe I can convince David Stern to fix the 2-D transformation for
IDLgrImage objects and allow the IDLgrImage object to contain a single
color.

Don

MPG.153251741114a448989db4@news.frii.com">news:MPG.153251741114a448989db4@news.frii.com...