dlm creating an array?

Hello all,

Is there a way to make a dlm that creates an IDL array?

i.e. I am writing a simple file reading dlm that reads a binary file and
generates a 1 dimensional array (or vector) and I would like this array
returned to IDL such that the function syntax is something like:

IDL> return = file_reader("test.bin", a);

where "return" is for error checking, "test.bin" is the file to read, and
"a" is what I would like the *new* array to be called.

Is there something like, "IDL_StoreArray" as opposed to "IDL_StoreScalar?"

Any and all hints and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Randall