Re: indexing over structure tags

Randall Skelton wrote:

> Thanks Tom... I did think of that.  However, in this particular case there
> is some merit in having the name of the structure be a useful and human
> readable tag.  Nobody would be happy trying to remember yet another
> arbitrary numbering scheme for molecules when they'd rather just type the
> name ;)  My suspicion is that there isn't an easy way to do what I want...
>
> Randall
>
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, tam wrote:
>
> > Just use the numeric tag syntax for structures.
> >
> >    for i=0,n_tags(data)-1 do begin
> >         data.(i).values = .. some expresion ...
> >    endfor
> >
> > where the (i) indicates use the i'th element of the structure.
> > So you don't need to use the names at all.
> >
> >       Regards,
> >       Tom McGlynn

Perhaps you misunderstood...there are two ways of accessing a tag within
a structure.

data = {lat:fltarr(10), lng:fltarr(10), sig:fltarr(10)}

Method 1:
data.lat
data.lng
data.sig

Method 2:
data.(0)
data.(1)
data.(2)

Either method accesses the same variables.

--
Bernard Puc                     AETC, INC.
bpuc@va.aetc.com                1225 Jefferson Davis Highway #800