Re: rounding errors

Randall Skelton wrote:

> Perhaps I am confused, but if you want the data to be represented as
> doubles, you should read it directly into a double array
> ('array=dblarr(1000)' or something similar)
>
> While you can legitimately extend the precision of floating point numbers
> to those of doubles you must always remember the underlying IEEE
> definition which states floats only have 6 digits precision while doubles
> have 15 digits of precision.  When you recast a float into a double, you
> expect decimal digits 6-15 will be noise because bits beyond the float
> precision can truly be anything.  Asking IDL to make a floating point
> number into double precision with 'zero padding' like you suggest is like
> asking IDL to know what decimal digits 6-15 were before you cast them as
> floats.  Using strings as an intermediate type does avoid the problem
> you describe but it also shows a genuine misunderstanding of storage
> types.
>
> For the record, I had no idea that IDL requires you to explicitly state
> 'a=2.348339d0' instead of a=double(2.348339).
>
> Randall
>
> PS: If you are still having trouble with this consider a simple C program:

Dear Craig, dear Randall
  thanks for your answers.

  Unfortunately, the input data is a fixed format I get from an external
  source and can not change. I fully appreciate and understand the precision
  difference in significant digits between float and double, be it in idl,
  c, or any other programming language, as it is inherently diffucult
  (read impossible) to map an infinite set of numbers to a finite realm of
  4/8 byte and not miss any.
  The case I am trying to make is this: why aren't the missing digits, i.e.
  the ones added by the cast, set to 0.? As I go along with my calculations,
  these random additional digits give me a hell of a headache by accumulating.
  And, as Murphy leads us to expect, always in the 'wrong' direction.
  I know, one  shouln't test floating point numbers in digital rep. against
  one another, not even if the were double.

  Starting with numbers that are said to have a precision of 15 digits but
  have random digits after after the 6th!?! Why should I even bother?
  BUT: it does work for a cast via double(string))...

  Yep, it isn't idl's fault here. It only cost me some time to notice...

well, cu all,
       Dominic
--
Dipl. Phys. Dominic R. Scales | Aero-Sensing Radarsysteme GmbH
Tel:  +49 (0)8153-90 88 90    | c/o DLR Oberpfaffenhofen