Re: rounding errors

You could try

d = 2.56989d

to use a double-precision literal.

Also,

b=double(2.56989)

causes a single-to-double conversion because the literal is
single-precision.

The IEEE mantissa (fractional part) of this single-precision literal is (in
hex):  48F228
The conversion of a single to double will make the mantissa something like
48F2280000000 because it just adds zeros to pad out the mantissa.
But the mantissa of 2.56989d is 48F227D028A1E.

Comparing:
48F2280000000  (single-precision literal converted to double)
48F227D028A1E (double precision literal stored as double)

The first number is slightly larger, which accounts for the extra non-zero
decimal digits you point out below.  When you convert the 2.56989 literal to
a single-precision float, the last mantissa bit is rounded up to get as
close to the literal as possible.  When you convert that single to a double,
the "too high" bit is simply carried over to the double precision mantissa
and the rest of the lesser-significant bits are zeroed out. So, the number
still seems "too high".  But if you store a double-precision literal as a
double, all the bits in a double-precision mantissa are used and the result
is what you expect.

And '2.56989' is different from 2.56989 because the latter is an implied
single-precision floating point number.  The former is a string which gets
converted directly to double-precision if you say double('2.56989').

3AE9330C.29D059E9@aerosensing.de">news:3AE9330C.29D059E9@aerosensing.de...