Re: lost data?

In article <Pine.SGI.4.33.0105101003100.24771-100000@wendigo.bio.dfo.ca>, "George N. White III" <WhiteG@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

> Some OS's (SGI Irix) have a checkpoint facility that works at the level of
> processes, and doesn't require support built in to the application.  I
> know there has been some work on checkpointing for linux, as the same
> capability is required to migrate a process to a new node in some
> distributed processing systems. I don't know if there is anything you can
> use with IDL, but it is certainly worth a look.

Do you know if this will actually work with IRIX?

I was under the impression that jobs which required a license manager
could not be checkpointed (or more correctly, they could not re-aquire
the connection to the license manager upon restart). The sgi license
manager has been modified to take account of this, but other products
which don't use the sgi license manager (such as IDL) cannot be
successfully checkpointed.

E-mail :    nmw@ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523568, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555