Re: IDL and NetCDF

"Claus Sølvsteen" wrote:

> Is there anyone out there who knows about  using NetCDF in IDL programming -
> or knows anybody who does?
> I have recently started using this, and my problems are not answered
> entirely from the IDL online manuals and the "basic" NetCDF homepage,
> www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf
> For instance, I am in doubt about 1) how do I use (and when should I use)
> unlimited variables, 2) is it possible to use structures as variables, and
> 3) how do I most properly create my program so that it is easily seen which
> variables belong together?
> I have a long set of observations of radar altimetry measurements og
> significant wave heights and wind speeds. So all measurements are acquired
> at different times. One measurement consists of  information about
> acquisition time (year, month, day, decimal hour), lat/lon, SWH, rms of SWH
> measurement, wind speed and others). Note that some variables are integers,
> some are doubles/floats - so I cannot just make a DblArr consisting all
> measurements.
> A file consists of several repeated tracks/cycles and the measurements have
> been put into a grid - therefore several measurements within a file may
> belong to a certain grid point though their acquisition times are different.
> On the other hand, for some grid points there may be no data.
> I hope that someone can help me.
>
> Best regards,
> Claus Sølvsteen

Dear Claus,

we have developed a data structure (icg-data-struct).
This structure is used for several of our routines for input and ouput.
We have read and write netCDF routines for this structure. In addition
several correlate, synchronize and plot routines handling data of this
structure are available in our library.

http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

please look at icg_ts_sync, read_ncdf, write_ncdf, icgs_correlate and
the examples by plotxy
and plot2d and so on

http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_source/idl_html/dbase/download/read_ncdf.tar.gz
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_source/idl_html/dbase/download/write_ncdf.tar.gz
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_source/idl_html/dbase/download/icg_ts_sync.tar.gz
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_source/idl_html/dbase/download/icgs_correlate.tar.gz

f_names is a function which reads the short_names from a netCDF File
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_source/idl_html/dbase/download/f_names.tar.gz

and for further routines and licensing please have a look at
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

The data structure itselfs is with a lot of examples described in
details in
my publication:

http://www.fz-juelich.de/zb/text/publikation/juel3786.html

hope this helps a bit

Reimar

--
Reimar Bauer

Institut fuer Stratosphaerische Chemie (ICG-1)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
email: R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/
a IDL library at ForschungsZentrum Juelich
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

http://www.fz-juelich.de/zb/text/publikation/juel3786.html

read something about linux / windows
http://www.suse.de/de/news/hotnews/MS.html